Strawberry Cupcakes with Strawberry flavored Swiss Meringue Buttercream
Author: Darshna Sathyapal
Prep time: 20 mins
Cook time: 15 mins
Total time: 35 mins
Serves: 12-15 Cupcakes
1 1/4 cups flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
7 to 8 large strawberries (for batter)
3/4 cup sugar
½ cup milk (room temperature)
½ cup flavorless vegetable oil
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 tsp vanilla essence
1/2 tsp Strawberry essence (optional, if you prefer more depth in flavors)
Prep time: 10 mins
Cook time: 20 mins
Total time: 30 mins
Frosts: 15 to 18 Cupcakes
3 large egg whites
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/16 teaspoon salt
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
1/2 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 teaspoon strawberry essence (you may also add strained strawberry purée from 8 to 10 strawberries)
Strawberries for garnish (optional)
Pink gel food coloring (optional)
1. Preheat your oven at 180 degrees Celsius and line your muffin tray with 12 cupcake liners.
2. Sift dry ingredients, flour, baking powder and salt together and set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, mash the strawberries into purée, for the batter. You may strain the purée in a fine mesh strainer if you prefer a smooth batter. I did not strain it, as I prefer to have little bits of strawberries in my cake.
4. In a mixing bowl, add the purée, eggs, oil, milk, sugar, vanilla essence and strawberry essence. Whisk until the sugar is fully incorporated.
5. Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients in small batches of 3. Gently fold at each addition, just until the ingredients are combined.
6. Using an ice cream scoop or a measuring spoon, pour the batter into the cupcake liners only until 2/3rd full. Do not be tempted to fill up the liners as you will end up with domed cupcakes which aren’t really a preferred choice if you’re decorating them with frosting.
7. Bake at 180 degrees Celsius for 15 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. It is okay to have a little crumb on the toothpick. Just make sure you do not have wet batter on it.
8. Let the cupcakes cool completely before frosting. I would recommend at least an hour.
1. In a large mixing bowl combine egg whites and sugar. Place the bowl over a saucepan of simmering water. Make sure that the bowl is not touching the water and it fits in the saucepan well. Using a wire whisk, constantly whisk the mixture by hand until it is hot, for about 3 to 5 minutes. It is important to whisk constantly as you do not what to end up with scrambled eggs. The mixture should feel completely smooth when rubbed between your fingertips. Now remove from heat.
2. Using a stand mixer or hand mixer (I used hand mixer), whisk on medium high speed for 5 to 7 minutes or until the mixture forms a thick fluffy meringue and it is cool. Touch the meringue and make sure it has cooled to room temperature. Also the outside of the bowl should feel cool to the touch. Hot mixture can melt the butter and you do not want that.
3. Add the butter, about 2 tablespoons at a time and mixing 20 to 30 seconds after each addition. While adding the butter, stop the mixer occasionally to scrape the mixture off the sides and bottom of the bowl with a rubber spatula so that the mixture blends evenly. Add the vanilla and strawberry essence and continue beating until the Buttercream is thick and smooth, about another 2 to 3 minutes.
4. Add food coloring, a drop at a time and blend with the mixer. Add additional food coloring if necessary to reach the desired shade. I strongly recommend gel food color to ensure a thick pipe-able consistency.
5. Fill up your piping bag with your favorite tip or just snip off the piping bag for a simple dollop. Frost your cupcakes. Garnish with fresh strawberries, if desired. I did not garnish, as I was running out of strawberries.
• The butter should be brought to room temperature but should feel cool to touch and not overly soft or warm. I recommend keeping it outside for an hour, cut in small cubes.
• In case your buttercream is runny, refrigerate for 15 minutes and beat the mixture for few minutes and it will be good to go!
• I recommend refrigerating the cupcakes for at least an hour before serving, for better taste.